Footer

Back to Top

More shelter for victims of domestic violence

domestic violence

MP Melanie Gibbons has welcomed the boost to shelters for victims of domestic violence in western Sydney, including Liverpool and Campbelltown.

Women and children escaping domestic and family violence will benefit from an upgrade of more than a dozen social housing properties in Western Sydney, including Liverpool and Macarthur.

Minister for Family and Community Services Brad Hazzard last week announced the completion of works on the final two properties.

“These properties are critical in providing women and children with the chance to start afresh after experiencing domestic and family violence,” Mr Hazzard said.

“The upgrades will ensure affected families are comfortable and most importantly safe, following a period of great upset and upheaval in their lives.”

The NSW and Commonwealth Governments purchased the three bedroom properties in the Campbelltown and Liverpool local government areas for $4.9 million.

The final works on the properties cost $300,000.

All completed homes have now been handed over to Address Housing to manage, a not-for-profit housing provider specialising in domestic and family violence.

Minister for the Prevention of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Pru Goward said the completion will improve the support available to victims of domestic and family violence.

“The increased supply of housing will help more women and children who leave abusive relationships to start building a new life, safe and free of violence,” Ms Goward said.

Member for Holsworthy, Melanie Gibbons MP said it was pleasing these new properties in the Liverpool area were now completed and that they will assist victims of domestic violence.

“I am glad to see that we are investing in infrastructure and services in our local area that are there to assist victims of domestic violence,” Ms Gibbons said.

The NSW Government says it is spending a record $182 million this financial year on specialist homelessness services to help close to 55,000 people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

An additional $20 million was announced in October 2015 for extra crisis accommodation for domestic violence victims and to ensure all could obtain 24/7 on-call help.

 

One Response to More shelter for victims of domestic violence

  1. Alfred Vella January 25, 2016 at 1:50 pm #

    Good One Mel.

Leave a Reply

We Support