To be made a life member of a club – big or small – is one of the great honours in Australian community and sporting life.
Especially for coaches, who rarely enter such a privileged club.
And that’s what makes the life membership bestowed on East Campbelltown Eagles coach Richard Barnes all the more remarkable.
But when you look at his achievements since joining this great local rugby league club it’s easy to see why Barnes was called up on stage on Saturday night to receive his life membership.
Indeed no fewer than 10 current life members of the Eagles were on hand to present the honour to the super coach, a life member’s jacket, pictured above.
The 30th life member of the club boasts an incredible record of achievement since he joined the Eagles family back in 2006, including:
- 2007 Kiama 9 A-Side Grand Finalists
- 2007 Canterbury 1st Grade Premiership
- 2009 Cabramatta 9 A-Side Premiers
- 2010 Kiama 9 A-Side Grand Finalist
- 2010 Group 6 Pre-season Premiers
- 2011 Group 6 Pre-season Premiers
- 2011 Group 6 Grand Finalists
- 2012 Group 6 Pre-Season Premiers
- 2012 Group 6 Undefeated Premiers
- 2012 NSWCRL Clayton’s Cup winners
- 2014 Sydney Shield Premiers
- 2015 NSWRL 9 A-Side Premiers
- 2016 Sydney Shield Premiers
- 2018 Coogee Bay 9 A-Side Grand Finalist
- 2018 Sydney Shield Premiers
“East Campbelltown Eagles club will be forever grateful for the work Richard Barnes has done at our club,’’ says president Daniel Draper.
“He’s a coach who has never asked for financial benefits.
“He only tells us to just make sure the players are looked after,’’ Mr Draper said.
“Richard is a coach that is loyal to his players and club, a coach who has supported his players through the highs and lows.
“I am proud to say Barnzy is a great coach, but more than that he’s a great mate, a great husband to his wife and a great father to his kids.
“People in Barnzy’s life means so much to him.
“I believe this is why he is a great coach – because he cares so much about his players.”