Footer

Back to Top

Victory for the people: huge housing plan for Menangle rejected

When plans for 2,000 new homes at Menangle village went on exhibition in May, they received more than 80 submissions from local residents.

The bulk majority of the submissions, 74 to be exact, were opposed to the Mount Taurus proposal, and just six were in favour.

Now Wollondilly Council has reflected this huge opposition to plans at Woodbridge Road (pictured) that would have massively increased the number of residents in the Menangle village.

At its meeting earlier this week the council voted against the plans, just as the local planning panel have done.

The proposal would have required rezoning of the land and the council said it was not prepared to support it.

“We have heard from the community who have many concerns about this proposal, and it is clear that there are too many risks for it to go ahead,’’ said deputy mayor Matthew Deeth.

“Of great concern to council and the community is that the site will substantially change the rural character and impact Menangle village and the surrounding landscape conservation area.

“This plan is definitely not in the public interest,” he said.

“The proposal for a large urban development on currently un-serviced and isolated rural area would require a significant infrastructure investment, with uncertainties particularly around the delivery of water and sewer, roads and public transport.’’

Significant concerns have been raised by two government agencies about the impact on the nearby Elizabeth Macarthur Agriculture Institute, suggesting the development would cause land use conflict which would adversely impact the agricultural and biosecurity research operations, which are of national significance.

Council also said it believed the development would have an adverse effect on the biodiversity and conservation of threatened species, ecological communities and their habitats.

The local planning panel had considered council’s report on the proposal and agreed that it should not proceed, also citing the significant lack of support from government agencies as well as the neighbouring research facility at Elizabeth Macarthur Agriculture Institute.

One Response to Victory for the people: huge housing plan for Menangle rejected

  1. Pam August 1, 2022 at 10:10 am #

    Sadly this is not over. There’s a chance the Minister for Planning will interfere just like he did recently with Kiama Council.

    A big ‘thank you’ should go to the Menangle residents and the broader Wollondilly community for their strong and persistent objection to the development proposal.

Leave a Reply

We Support