Rams back in winners circle after 4-2 romp at Lynwood Park

Photo of author


Six goals and a fantastic game of football in the National Premier Leagues Women’s NSW match of the round saw the Macarthur Rams overcome league leaders Manly United 4-2 on Sunday night.

It was the perfect way for Stephen Peters to celebrate his birthday as the Rams came away with the spoils in an enthralling clash.

It was also a return to the winners circle for the Rams, after three draws and a defeat in their previous four matches.

The three premiership points have also helped Rams up to second place on the ladder, just two points behind leaders Manly.

The Macarthur girls have a game in hand, so they are in a good position to defend their title.

Gun forward Kelli Brown returned to Lynwood Park in style, scoring a goal either side of half time to give the Rams a two-goal lead.

Tenealle Hay made it 3-0 with just over 20 minutes to go with the home team cruising.

Manly showed weren’t league leaders by chance though, first pulling a goal back via Emily Minett before new signing Alexia Karrys-Stahl made for an entertaining finish.

That was before Brown rounded off her hat-trick and secured the points for Macarthur with a goal two minutes from time to make it 4-2.

It was the visitors that had the first meaningful attack as Phoebe Gilbane forced Kiara Rochaix into an excellent save, pushing the ball wide after it skidded off the wet surface.

Brown and Mel Caceres both had opportunities in quick succession for the home side but Manly survived.

Not long after and the Rams were in front after a nice team move.

The ball was spread from right to left, Miku Sunaga receiving the ball out wide, delivering a delightful ball into the six-yard box and finding a sliding Brown who finished well.

It was dominance from the home team from there through till half time with Manly threatening mostly on the counter without creating too many headaches for the Rams.

Rochaix was again called into action first of the two keepers, this time pulling off a top draw save from a Tegan Biasi strike.

Again though, it would be the home team to strike first in the second half, Brown doubling the home team’s advantage.

Caceres did well to pinch the ball in midfield, sliding her pass through for Brown who took a touch before blasting the ball into the top corner from outside the area.

Bronte Trew had the chance to make it three but Nicole Simonsen saved well to keep Manly in the game.

Hay came close to also extending the lead after combining with Brown had it not been for a great challenge from Phoebe Gilbane.

From the resulting corner though, the defender had her goal.

Simonsen did not quite get the clearance on the ball she expected as the ball cannoned off Hay’s chest at the back post and into the back of the net.

Tom Hopley rang the changes and they worked imminently.

Emily Minett added another goal to her tally and gave the visitors some life with 20 minutes to go.

The striker picked up a long through ball, beat her defender before slotting her effort under the body of Rochaix.

With just over five to go, it was game on as Manly cut the lead further.

Some fortuitous play saw the ball fall into the path of Karrs-Stahl who poked her effort toward the goal, taking a deflection on its way before beating Rochaix.

Not resting on their one-goal lead, Brown collected her hat-trick and put the game to bed with two minutes remaining.


Leave a Comment