Federal Labor MP Anne Stanley says she is committed to helping the people of Werriwa in any way possible during the difficult weeks and months ahead.
“The impact of the global coronavirus pandemic is being felt at a local level and our community of Werriwa will only get through this health crisis by working together,’’ said the Werriwa MP.
She said Labor will continue to work constructively with the federal government to protect Australian lives and jobs.
“In the coming weeks and months there will be issues that emerge in our community that will need to be addressed by the government and Labor remains committed to helping solve them,’’ Ms Stanley said.
She cautioned residents against relying on social media for information.
“You cannot always trust information you read on social media – including on Facebook pages and messages – or you receive via email or text messages,” Ms Stanley said.
“Even if the information comes from people you know and trust, it does not make it true. You can only rely on official information.’’
Ms Stanley, pictured, said the following are official government websites you can rely on:
- Health updates
on coronavirus – www.health.gov.au
and our State/Territory Government Department here – New South Wales
- in languages other than English here.
- Information about the Government’s one-off stimulus payment here.
- Income support for people older than 21 and under the Age Pension age – JobSeeker Payment.
- Income support for people 21 and younger – Youth Allowance for Job Seekers.
- Advice for Australians overseas – Smartraveller & Consular Assistance.
- Information for temporary visa holders – Department of Home Affairs.
If you need someone to talk to contact Lifeline on 13 11 14, Suicide Callback on 1300 659 467 or Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636.
Ms Stanley also reminded locals of the need for everyone to practise good hygiene and social distancing measures including:
- covering our coughs and sneezes with our elbow or a tissue;
- avoiding handshaking and other physical greetings;
- washing our hands often with soap and water and/or using alcohol-based hand sanitisers;
- regularly disinfecting high touch surfaces, such as tables, kitchen benches and doorknobs; and
- if unwell, avoiding contact with others by staying more than 1.5 metres away.
If you need help or want to raise an issue with the government’s handling of this crisis, email Anne.Stanley.MP@aph.gov.au.
If the matter is urgent please call the electorate office on 8783 0977.