Harlequins cut loose to put Tech Tahs out of business

Photo of author

The Campbelltown Harlequins have put themselves in a great position to play finals footy this year after a 53-14 shellacking of the Tech Waratahs on Saturday.

But the score doesn’t reflect the closeness of the two sides on the field, especially in the first half.

It took almost 20 minutes before the first points were posted at Campbelltown Showground on a very warm winter’s afternoon.

The Harlequins – who needed to win to stay in touch with the top four – were nervous early on, making several handling errors.

So it was no surprise the visitors were the first to cross the line under the posts and go to a 7-0 lead after a successful conversion.

This seemed to be a wake up call for the home side, who responded with a try of their own a few minutes later to reduce the deficit to 7-5.

A second try a short time later off the back of a backline move on the left side of field put the Harlequins ahead for the first time at 12-7.

But the arm wrestle continued, with the Tahs scoring again with five minutes to go to half time.

Another successful conversion meant the visitors were in the lead again at 14-12 and everyone at the ground expected that would be the half time score.

But in a sign of things to come in the second half, the Harlequins mustered the energy for one more raid on the Tahs line – and it paid off.

As a result, it was the home side who trundled off with the lead, 17-14, but with still a lot of work to do in the second half.

It took 14 minutes to extend the lead, but it was obvious the Harlequins had gained momentum and were not going to hand it back to the Tahs any time soon.

The conversion made the scoreline read 26-14, the biggest margin of the match so far, but the premiership points were not in the bag just yet for the home side.

There was still 15 minutes left on the clock when they scored again for 33-14, and the flood gates were about to open wide.

Another try in the corner six minutes later made it 38-14 as the Harlequins started to run riot against a team that’s their main threat for a semi final spot in the Illawarra District rugby Union competition.

Spectators were treated to some scintillating running rugby in the latter stages as the home side pushed for more points.

Another try made it 38-14, then another for 43-14 in the 74th minute.

Harlequins won the ball from the scrum 25 metres from the Tahs line and easily spread the ball for another five pointer and a 48-14 scoreline.

And just as home fans were celebrating a great victory, with seconds left on the clock, the Harlequins threw the ball around like the Harlem Globetrotters.

Their reward was another try – and the final scoreline of 53-14.

No wonder they celebrated the last touchdown, pictured top, as much as their first.

But they were also celebrating the fact they kept the visitors scoreless in the second half.

The Campbelltown boys are away to Shamrocks next week, and return to the Showground to host Avondale on Saturday, August 12. Their last match is away with University.

And then, fingers crossed, the finals get under way.

Leave a Comment