Gritty Bulls earn point to keep finals hopes alive

Photo of author

A gritty 1-1 draw against A-League powerhouse Melbourne City has kept Macarthur FC in the race for the finals.

The Bulls are just two points out of the top six and head to Perth on Saturday, April 1, to take on Glory full of confidence after last night’s epic effort against City at Campbelltown Stadium.

It’s worth remembering that five weeks ago Melbourne City smashed the Bulls 6-1, so last night’s performance was an indication of a team that’s building nicely.

Watching this team play one gets the feeling that a season in which they lost their coach, a string of injuries to some of their stars, along with a suspension or two has hardened the resolve of the players.

New head coach Mile Sterjovski was true to his word and did not send out his team with strict instructions to stop City from scoring any goals.

The Bulls had very little possession, but when they did get the ball they did have a serious go at putting City under pressure defensively.

It paid off big time 26 minutes into the first half when their American striker Jason Romero (pictured above celebrating) scored a wonderful goal that showcased his skills.

He will score a few more before his time is done.

The Bulls looked like they were headed for a famous victory, but an own goal 66 minutes into the game gifted City the 1-1 draw.

The visitors, who boast several international players, created several goal scoring opportunities, but the Bulls managed to thwart them.

There are three points up for grabs in Perth in the next round for the Bulls, who return home on Saturday, April 8 to host the Western Sydney Wanderers.

Given good weather there should be a decent crowd for that game, although the Bulls will just be happy to pocket the three valuable points.


In the National Premier Leagues NSW premiership, the Bulls FC Academy side also put on a gritty effort at Lambert Park to hold high-flyers APIA Leichhardt FC to a 2-2 draw.

The first half was actioned packed with three goals in the space of seven minutes.

Jack Armson put the home side in front midway through the half before Joel Bertolissio and Mason Wells both scored for the Bulls, which sent the side into halftime with a lead.

Jack Stewart equalised for APIA within the first minute of the second half, but the hosts were unable to push on and find a winner in the remainder of the game.

Leave a Comment