Footer

Back to Top

Fires are out but stock face poison risk

Livestock owners impacted in the wake of the recent fires in outer South West Sydney are being urged to protect their animals from the risk of poisoning.

Greater Sydney Local Land Services manager for biosecurity and emergency services Graham Wilson said there had been reports of livestock being poisoned as a result of ash in drinking water and exposure to burned infrastructure including treated timber.

“Stock water impacted by ash and debris is generally not a health risk for animals however it can be if it becomes stagnant or is contaminated with dead animals or ash or /residues from treated timber,” Mr Wilson said.

“Wherever possible, ash and debris should be removed from dams, creeks and stock water troughs.

“Water sources can be protected from further contamination by installing temporary fencing to catch windblown debris or sediment.”

He said burnt Copper Chrome Arsenate (CCA) treated timber and its resulting ash is extremely toxic and can be fatal to livestock if consumed.

“CCA treated timber is commonly used in building construction, landscaping, decking, fence posts, orchard and vineyard trellising and other infrastructure,’’ he said.

“Burnt stockpiles of CCA treated timber pose the greatest risk to livestock.

“Livestock should be excluded from areas where stockpiles have been completely or partially burnt.”

Mr Wilson urged anyone requiring advice or assistance to contact Greater Sydney Local Land Services on 1300 795 299.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

We Support