Camden Council has installed 10 solar lights at Narellan Urban Forest, plus another four electrical lights in the adjacent car park, to improve safety in the area.
The $235,000 project was funded through the Australian Government’s safer communities fund.
Narellan Urban Forest and the adjacent car park have had a history of anti-social behaviour.
Improving the lighting in the area means extra security for residents who want to enjoy the space.
Stage two of the project will begin in May and is due to be complete in June.
It will include:
- Stabilising works, to prevent erosion;
- Thinning shrub growth, to improve visibility through to the park for safety; and
- Replanting grasses, to assist with resilience through rain.
Camden Council is improving a number of other play spaces, including:
- Col Barrett Reserve, Narellan, where existing equipment will be replaced with a new swing set, a see-saw unit and play tower with slide;
- Harrison Reserve, Harrington Park, where new equipment, including an accessible basket swing and boat themed play tower with slide, will be installed;
- Pindari Reserve, Camden, where new equipment will be installed and the existing playground will be repositioned;
- Installing a new playground at Duncombe Avenue, Gledswood Hills, which will include a slide, an arched net climber, accessible basket swing, climbing rocks, fallen log balance and stepping logs.
In other Camden area news, council is inviting residents to “jump on down’’ to this year’s popular Bounce Town event in April..
Council says at this year’s event there will be 10 brand new jumping castles that have never been seen in Australia before, including Hippo Chowdown, pictured above.
Bounce Town, which is suitable for toddlers right through to teenagers, will be held on Wednesday, April 17, 10am-3pm, at Town Park, Central Avenue, Oran Park.
There will be 21 jumping castles on the day, with inflatables for all ages.
There will also be a designated area for children under five years, with toys and play equipment safe from the bigger kids.
And for mums and dads there will be lots of
food stalls to enjoy under the shaded seating.