Macarthur Football Association (MFA) says its preliminary planning has the season starting on the weekend of July 3-5.
In a note to clubs last week, the MFA chairman Darcy Lound said they were working with the three Macarthur region councils “to ensure we can deliver as many matches as we possibly can under the circumstances’’.
Under the association’s “Return to Football Plan’’ the season will extend to the October long weekend.
It is likely that double headers will be required throughout the season to fit all matches in.
There will be no break for school holidays and there will be no capacity to play catch-up games due to washouts.
Mr Lound reminded clubs there will be strict government guidelines in force, including the number of people that can gather at one time.
“This may impact our ability to deliver special events, such as gala days, finals series, and award functions,’’ he said.
“As the situation is dynamic, all the above is subject to change.
“Our simple objective is to play as many games of football as we possibly can.
“There is no doubt the 2020 season will be different to any other season we have experienced as we as we will be bound by government restrictions, but we firmly believe that getting back onto the pitch in 2020 will have significantly greater benefits to our community than electing to cancel the season altogether.
“The reality is that we will need to modify the way we schedule, prepare, play, train, referee, coach, socialise and celebrate to ensure we comply and keep our vast football family safe and healthy,’’ Mr Lound said.